Monday, October 31, 2011

A Busy Weekend

Dear Minnow,
          It was so nice to have a busy weekend and end of the week for a change! I have been going a wee bit stir crazy lately so it is nice that things are finally starting to pick up. Wednesday I spent sometime with one of your father's friends from high school and her daughter which was a lot of fun. It was great to just hang out and talk and get the low down on what baby things actually work and what isn't worth spending money on. It's so hard to make decisions on baby stuff based on the parenting websites alone, especially when they all have such contrasting opinions on the same items! What happened to the good old days when all you needed was diapers, a crib and a few chew toys?  Anyways, Thursday I taught my first full Shakespeare class up at the charter school (the first two were just mini workshops). I had twelve enthusiastic high schoolers, it is going to be a fun class although none of them have ever read a Shakespeare play so that presents a little bit of a challenge lol. I love the charter school we are partnering with though, not only is the building absolutely gorgeous (it is completely art deco and very old), the whole energy of the staff and students is so welcoming and positive! Friday night your dad decided to take me out for dinner and a movie. We hadn't had a night out in months since we have been saving for your sister's arrival and of course towards buying a house. We went to one of your dad's favorite Mexican restaurants (side note, my belly has become so big that we had to check to see if it would fit between the table and the booth seat....it was awkward) and then to see the movie Anonymous. The movie was great but really made me miss listening to your Auntie Molly debate Shakespeare conspiracies after a few too many drinks at Theatre School parties back in college :-). Molls is a total Shakespeare buff so I can't wait to skype with her sometime soon and pick her brain on what she thought about the movie.Yesterday I went to a yoga class at the baby consignment store down the street, I absolutely love the store and they offer a bunch of free classes for parents each month. It's the same place your dad and I took the cloth diapering 101 class a while back, I think I might take their baby wearing 101 class this Saturday (the classes are just a great way to meet people and way less confusing than the online tutorials). Plus their FREE which is one of mommy's favorite words.  I will say that yoga with a baby in your belly is hard though. I used to take yoga classes two to three times a week back in Chicago on top of having to do sun salutations as warm ups in most of my movement and acting classes. Don't get me wrong, just because I like yoga does not in any way shape or form mean I'm any good at it. I have always been the one desperately trying not to wipe out the back row during balancing poses and the only thing I lack more than grace is flexibility, but I've always loved the way it makes my body feel and settles my mind for a while. I did yoga once a week or so while I was pregnant with you minnow but you were so little one that I never had much of a belly even towards the end. This time around I would pop in the prenatal dvd once in a blue moon but usually spent most of the time cursing the skinny little bitches who only seemed to gain weight in their perfectly round belly bumps and could not only still bring their heads to their toes but still hold every pose for what seemed like hours! Needless to say towards the end of the second trimester that dvd made friends with the trash can. Sunday's class was great though! It was a yoga for motherhood class so it was a class full of real women, taught by a real mom.:-). I had to laugh though, I'm pretty sure I was the only one in the third trimester there. Your sister is gonna be big, I certainly wouldn't call her a guppy anymore she feel more like a ten pound bass. Part way through the class she decided she was over the whole yoga thing and lodged her head into my rib cage so I couldn't even sit up straight without feeling her hit my ribs. She has settle back into her usual horizontal position now, laying right across my belly button. Alright I have rambled on for far too long little one. I'd better get a move on and finish my Halloween costume before I have to bring MK to her friends house to trick or treat. I love you Brennan and miss you everyday. Please keep watch over your little sister, just 7 more weeks, please keep her safe till then.
                                     Love always,
                                           Mommy

3 comments:

  1. One thing I loved/hated about yoga during pregnancy- was it taught me to accept change. Each week, there were new things my body could and couldn't do, but each week it was a learning experience. And hazel always woke up to dance for savasana. Which made it difficult to meditate, but special too. I really enjoyed meeting you- and my house is often full of mamas in various stages of pregnancy and childrearing. They know lots, and love to share- you are welcome to join. We make really good tea and really yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Maura did the same thing she was wide awake and kicking during savasana :-). I would love to pick your brain about childbirth and parenting sometime, being new to the area I don't know many other moms here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All my favorite topics, are you free on Fridays? Email me and maybe we can set something up.

    ReplyDelete